While Unnao and Kathua incidents horrified us all, for Delhi Commision of Women chief Swati Maliwal, it was an even more painful experience. Being on the forefront of women’s commission, she has been working tirelessly, day and night in fighting such crimes. Every day, she comes across victims of gruesome crimes and helps them to the best of her ability. With the recent events, the conscience of the nation was stirred. On 12th April,2018, she sat on an indefinite hunger strike demanding death penalty for rapists of minors.
Her hunger strike has reached day 7 today yet the government is apathetic and has failed to listen to her. A government that celebrates one day fasts against non issues is unable to take cognisance of Maliwal’s sincere hunger strike.
This blatant and blissful ignorance of Maliwal’s protest reveals a similar outlook towards the issues of all women by the government.
— AAP महाराष्ट्र (@AAPMaharashtra) April 19, 2018
Aam Aadmi Party, Maharashtra Women’s Wing observed a fast at Azad Maidan in solidarity with Ms.Maliwal’s Rape Roko movement.
Our demands are:
- Creation of Fast Track courts to hear cases relating to sexual violence.
- Pass a law that states capital punishment for Rapists of Minors within six months.
- Ensure proper functioning of forensic labs to ensure proper data and evidence collectiom.
- Ensure certainty and swiftness of punishment against convicts.
- In Maharashtra, we demand appointment of a full time Home Minister. Crimes against women and children in Maharashtra are increasing at alarming rates according to FCRB data and law and order situation can’t improve until a separate Home Minister is appointed.
Those sitting on fast are:
- Kumud Mishra
- Sumitra Srivastav.
- Rakhi Panchal.
- Meenal Jain
- Durriya Ghadiyali
- Rehana Khan
- Jaspal Mehta
- Rosita Jadhav
- Kanak pander
- Madhu Sinha
The government must wake up from its slumber and act in a stern manner. Passing such a law would act as a great deterrent and focus must be on shifting the focus to preventive approach rather than curative.