The AAP Punjab government has taken several actions to raise public awareness on health-related topics including drug de-addiction and food safety.
- A monthly magazine named ‘Sehat Jagrukta’ and an official YouTube channel ‘Health Media Punjab’ were launched on 7th April 2022 by the government in an effort to promote community health and well being.
- During the period April 18th to 22nd, under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, 119 block level health melas were organised in the state to provide quality and comprehensive health services to the people, especially those living in villages. Various services like laboratory, consultation, medicine, treatment and referral were made available at one place. The objective of the fairs was also to give them more effective information about symptoms, causes, prevention, and treatment of various diseases. Stalls related to various health programs and for other departments were set up in the melas.
- On 22nd May 2022, Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann led over 15,000 cyclists in a massive drug awareness rally from Sangrur. Quoting the proverb that ‘an idle mind is a devil’s workshop’, Mann said that with more employment opportunities, there will be no room for banned drugs in society.
“Our social bonding is so strong that any seed could germinate on the land of Punjab, but the seed of hatred will not germinate here at any cost. And if our health and mind is fit, we will together put the state on a high-growth trajectory.” – Bhagwant Mann, Punjab Chief Minister (Link)
- To mark the occasion of “International Day of Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking” that falls on 26th June, the Chandigarh NCB (Narcotics Control Bureau) in association with the Chandigarh Police organised “Nasha Se Azaadi Pakhwada” from 12 – 26th June, 2022.
- The first ‘Neon Run’ to be organized by a Government Department in Chandigarh was held on 20th June 2022. Over 5000 people participated in this run that was organised to spread awareness amongst the youth about the ill effects of drug abuse.
- On 26th June 2022, a mini-marathon was held in Amritsar and Ludhiana against drug abuse and drug trafficking.